Thursday, January 27, 2011

I've Got A Secret

I bet you were hoping for something juicy, right? If you are my mother, you were hoping that it was something that might arrive in 9 months? No such luck haha. Sorry, I'm just sharing my recipe for rice bowls. I like to think I am the only person to come up with this combination but I am sure that is not the case. Originally, I was trying to emulate Chipotle's Rice Bowls. This isn't the same but let's just say I think it would give a certain well known restaurant chain a run for their money! This has become part of the regular dinner rotation at my house because it's easy, flavorful, and satisfies my mexican cravings without adding TOO many extra calories.




Burrito Rice Bowls

Ingredients:

1 habanero pepper
1 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup of uncooked Basmati Rice
2 cups of water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
3-4 green onions, sliced
1/2 a lime

Optional Toppings (this is what I use):
Black beans
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped and sauteed
1/2 onion, chopped and sauteed
cheddar cheese, shredded
salsa (My go-to salsa)
extra cilantro
sour cream
fresh avocado
Other ideas: grilled chicken, shrimp, grilled steak, tomato, guacamole, corn, shredded pork

Steps:

In a medium pot, saute habanero in the evoo on medium heat. Once the pepper is sauteed, add water, rice, and salt.  Boil until most of the water evaporates. Then, simmer and cover about 15 minutes. Take the rice off the stove to cool for about 5 minutes.  Next, toss in cilantro and green onions. Squeeze juice of two lime wedges into mixture and blend lightly.  Lastly, add your favorite toppings!

It doesn't have to be pretty. Here's what mine looked like:


I'm enjoying keeping up with this blog even if I don't know exactly who is out there. You can come out and say hello once in awhile, ya know :-). But this keeps me occupied on evenings like tonight when my husband is on the couch watching Hercules. Yep, I'm totally serious...

1 comment:

janet said...

this is your mother, and although burrito rice bowls sound pretty wonderful, something that arrives in 9 months sounds even more wonderful!