Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs?

Well, it certainly is cloudy here but I don't think we will see meatballs falling from our sky anytime soon just a few snowflakes or at least that's what the empty grocery store shelves told me.  Tonight, our stomachs were craving some spaghetti and meatballs so I knew what we were making on this cold night as we wait for the snow to start...or not.  Or let's be honest, I really wanted to crack open that Italian wine I just bought at Total Wine and needed a good excuse. If you haven't been to Total Wine, I highly recommend checking it out. It's fabulous...the prices are better than most wine shops and even grocery stores, not to mention they have a great selection. The employees are very helpful if you aren't a wine connoisseur. They also let you create your own beer six packs (the beer selection is great too if you like to try various micro-brews.) In case you are wondering, tonight I had a 2009 Poggio San Pietro Toscana Rosso (under $10!) Yeah, I hadn't heard of it either. But, I must say it suited my tastes just fine. So, here is a recipe for quick and easy meatballs. When trying to make an easy and quick Italian dinner, I buy a jar of sauce and boxed pasta. Other times, I make my own sauce but sometimes it just isn't worth it.

Easy Italian Meatballs Per Due

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. ground sirloin (I prefer grass-fed)
1/2 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup chopped curly parsley
1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup bread crumbs  (you can use a fork to crumble the bread)
1 egg, beaten
1.5 Tbsp red wine (see, more reason to open a bottle)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp olive oil


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all of the above ingredients except the last two by hand. Form 2 inch meatballs and dredge in the flour. 
Heat olive oil in large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Brown the meatballs. 
Place browned meatballs in baking pan and cook in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
Mix meatballs into heated sauce before serving over pasta (with wine of course.)




No comments: