Thursday, January 6, 2011

I'm A Virgin to the Blogging World

Well, I've always said that I would never start a blog because no one cares to hear the random musings of someone who thinks the world wants to hear what they have to say. But, here I am.  As someone who was formerly scared of the kitchen and thought throwing pasta in a pot and adding some sauce from a jar counted as cooking, I understand how daunting it can be to face a cookbook and a drawer full of foreign utensils. I've since made pals with my kitchen and have actually USED all those foreign utensils and gadgets. I am actually starting to ENJOY cooking and baking. While I am starting to become confident that I can make tasty meals, not every recipe is a success. This blog is to help me document my adventures in the kitchen without having to keep a big messy binder of recipes/notes and also to share recipes with others.  Some of these recipes will be borrowed from other bloggers, cookbooks, etc. I will try to give credit where it's due. Bon appetit!


Spicy Pasta with Sweet Potatoes (as seen in Better Homes and Gardens)
Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4 inche cubes
1/2 tsp. each of sugar, chili powder, and cinnamon
8 oz. dried rigatoni 
1/3 cup peanut butter
3 oz. cream cheese, cut up
2 tsp. Asian chili sauce (I prefer Sriracha sauce)
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
6 green onions, thinly sliced
optional: shrimp or chicken (I prefer not to add either)


1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Oil a rimmed baking pan; set aside. Place sweet potato cubes in a bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil, the sugar, chili powder, and cinnamon. Spread in prepared pan; bake 20 minutes or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.  Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water.
3. In saucepan combine peanut butter, cream cheese, chili sauce, and soy sauce; whisk in 3/4 cup of the hot pasta water.  Stir over medium heat until heated through. If too thick, stir in additional water. Stir in most of the green onions. Servce sauce over pasta with sweet potatoes and remaining onion.  
4. As always, enjoy with wine! Perhaps, a buttery chardonnay 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recognize those bowls! This sounds so delicious, I can't wait to try it!