Friday, January 7, 2011

The Cure For A Cold Winter's Day...Soup!

When the temperatures drop and the sky is gloomy, I love a good soup. You know what I also love? My slow cooker. I highly recommend the Cuisinart 6.5 qt. Slow Cooker if you don't already have one.  I am in love with the fact that I can throw a bunch of things in this huge dish and leave it all day only to come home to a great smelling (and tasting meal.) Most recently, I used it to make this soup which was hearty and delicious.


Potato & Spinach Soup with Gouda

Ingredients:
6 cups cubed peeled  Yukon Gold potatoes (about 9)
2 cans (14 oz) vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1 small red onion, finely chopped
5 oz. baby spinach
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2.5 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, cut into thin slices
Chopped fresh parsley


1. Combine potatoes, broth, water, onion, spinach, salt, red pepper, and black pepper in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low 10 hours.  My slow cooker only goes up to 8 hours so I had to remember to come back and add 2 additional hours later.
2. Turn slow cooker to High.  Slightly mash potatoes in slow cooker; add 2 cups cheese and evaporated milk. Cover; cook on High 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
3. Heat oil in small pan over low heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle soup with garlic, remaining 1/2 cup of cheese, and parsley.

No comments: