Italian Pot Roast
Source: Southern Living Cookbook
1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 large onion, sliced
1 (2 1/2 to 3-lb.) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (1-oz.) envelope dry onion soup mix
1 (14-oz.) can beef broth
1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Place mushrooms and onions in slow cooker.
- Sprinkle roast with pepper. Cook roast in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned on each side.
- Place roast on top of mushrooms and onion in slow cooker. Sprinkle onion soup mix over roast; pour beef broth and tomato sauce over roast. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- Transfer roast to a cutting board; cut into large chunks, removing any large pieces of fat. Keep roast warm.
- Skim fat from juices in slow cooker; stir in tomato paste and Italian seasoning. Stir together cornstarch and 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl until smooth; add to juices in slow cooker, stirring until blended. Cover and cook 20 minutes on HIGH or until mixture is thickened. Stir in roast. Serve over egg noodles.