Monday, February 28, 2011

A Lil' Sunshine

Again, we had beautiful weather this past weekend. I love when the temps reach mid to late 70's in February. But this is Georgia so even though today it is still in the 70's, we are under a tornado watch. I know this because my mother will always update me on all weather conditions. I really think that she should get a job at The Weather Channel (she might even know someone that may or may not have worked there before and has connections.) But for real, she can stay on top of those weather conditions better than any meteorologist that I've met. It's true, my friends remember the days when the sky would look a little dark and they could predict that I would not be allowed out. Oh, mom...

But back to this weekend... it was definitely patio weather again which usually makes me crave an ice cold beer but not this time. I went to the grocery store on a whim and picked out a cool, white wine, Erath Pinot Gris from Oregon. It was a tad sweet and perfect for sipping on a warm day.  With the wine, I picked up some cheese and crackers. I go gaga for cheese and crackers. I think it is a childhood thing. That was "my snack" and to this day I still get just as excited. In fact, the wine may have even been an excuse to make a meal of cheese and crackers.

Warm days also make me crave barbeque like any good southern girl so I thought I'd share a bbq recipe. This is fantastic on it's own or served on buns or texas toast.

Texas Brisket

4 1/2 lb. beef brisket
2 large onions, sliced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup liquid smoke
1/4 cup Worchestershire 
1/4 cup A1 Steak Sauce
1/4 cup strongly brewed black coffee

1. Spread onions evenly along the bottom of your slow cooker.  Place brisket in slow cooker,  fatty-side up.
2. Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over the meat and onions. 
3. Cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. 
Optional: I like to eat the flavorful onions just as they are when they come out of the slow cooker. But you could also choose to use them as a gravy by throwing them in a blender with a ladle or two of the liquid and pouring it over the meat. 

*Note: If you do not have a slow cooker, you can make this in the oven. You would instead place everything in a roasting pan and cook at 325 for 3 and 1/2 hours. 

No comments: