Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Need A Little Help

First thing: So, I've gotten a few emails from readers saying that they aren't able to comment on my blog. They either receive an error or they comment and it never shows up after they've submitted it. Since others have been able to, I'm not sure what could be the problem. I've also had someone tell me that they had trouble signing up to become a follower. I am new to the blogging world so I'd appreciate any advice that you have on how to remedy this.

 So the second thing...Do you have any tips for peeling and slicing onions? I am one of those people who immediately starts tearing up once I start slicing and dicing.  And it's not just tearing up, it's the UGLY CRY (we're talking mascara running down my cheeks and all.)

Picture from ABC.com
No, of course that isn't me. That is Matthew Fox from LOST. And if you know me well, you know how I love LOST. This was basically an excuse for me to bring up the show in my blog. But really, the onions are a problem for me and I use them a lot.  Does this happen to anyone else? Do you have any tips to help prevent this complete meltdown from peeling and slicing onions? It would be nice if I could cut up an onion without having to take multiple five minute breaks!

Since I don't have a recipe today, I will leave you with a picture of my cats per my mother's request of course.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG! I love LOST! But Sawyer is definitely my favorite character! He would never be caught crying like that!

As for your onion problem, I've heard if you freeze it beforehand for a couple minutes, it helps calm the tears down.

Anonymous said...

All you need to do is hold a wooden matchstick in your mouth when you slice an onion and you won't tear.--Love, your Aunt and faithtful follower

da vinci said...

wooden matchstick sound neat, I have to try that. Some time ago, Alton Brown on one of his shows mentioned that cutting an onion near an active heat source (usually your stove) reduces the effect of the onion

It works for me, I usually turn the element on as soon as I start cutting an onion.

vinointhekitchen said...

I just tried the match trick...works like a charm :-)