Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Campanelle with Broccoli Raab, Sausage & Olives

The only modification that I made was to buy spicy italian sausage instead of the milder sweet version since I like it hot :-). I wasn't feeling like wine last night much to the dismay of my husband. Besides, our wine table was nearly barren but don't you worry... I went to Total Wine today to replenish my stock. I made it a goal not to spend more than $13 on any of the bottles I purchased today. So I will definitely let you know if I found some good ones. Cheap wine that is also good is always a plus! I figured that campanelle might be a little tricky to find so I went to Whole Foods where I surprisingly was not able to find any. But, I did find some at Kroger.

Campanelle with Broccoli Raab, Sausage & Olives taken from Fine Cooking magazine


Kosher salt
1 lb. broccoli raab, thick stems trimmed, leaves and florets rinsed well
6 oz. campanelle pasta (2 cups)
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb. sweet italian sausage (bulk sausage or links removed from casing)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 cup homemade chicken broth
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered
2 tsp finely grated lightly packed lemon zest
1/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino-Romano

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Have a bowl of ice water ready. Add the broccoli raab and cook until bright green and tender, 2 min. (the water doesn’t have to come back to a full boil once the broccoli raab has been added). With tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the broccoli raab to the bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. Drain well and gently squeeze the broccoli raab to remove excess water.

Return the pot of water to a boil, add the pasta, cook according to package directions, and drain.

While the campanelle cooks, heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium- high heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring and breaking it into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon until it’s browned and almost cooked through, 4 to 6 min. Add the garlic and chile flakes and cook until the garlic is lightly golden, about 1 min. Pour in the broth and bring to a boil; cook, scraping the pan with a wooden spoon occasionally, until the broth is reduced by about half, 3  to 4 min.

Add the broccoli raab, olives, and lemon zest and cook, stirring, until hot, 1  to 2 min. Add the pasta and cheese to the skillet and toss well. Season to taste with salt and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Janet said...

sounds yummy and looks great.
I look foward to reading your blog everyday! Would like to see more of those cute cats of yours!