Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Another Day, Another Chili

Last time that I made chili, I mentioned that I wanted to play around with various recipes this winter since there are so many out there. I guess you can say I'm hosting a season long chili cook-off but I'm the only judge. I promise...my house IS safe to step into. :-p

I've only made chili previously with either ground beef or turkey but I tried something different this time, "steak" (stew meat.) I had to add the quotes/parentheses because I have been calling the meat "steak" whenever I described it but my husband felt that I deceived him since he believes stew meat is not even close to steak meat. PICK-Y! Anyways, the meat was so good after being slow cooked all day long that even he gave it two thumbs up with many praises. It was SO easy too.

Grass-Fed Beef Chili
makes 10 servings

Ingredients
28-oz can whole tomatoes, quartered (reserve juice)
10-oz. can of Rotel (diced tomatoes with green chilies)
2 cups tomato juice
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
3 garlic cloves, minced
1.5 lbs extra lean grass-fed stew meat or steak, cut into cubes
2 cups chopped onion
1.5 cups finely diced celery
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 15-oz cans of red kidney beans
Cheddar cheese, shredded

Combine first seven ingredients into your slow cooker. Slowly stir in the meat, garlic, and cut up veggies.

Cover, cook on LOW for 8 hours. Add kidney beans and cook on HIGH for 15 minutes. Serve and shred a little cheese over the top or add sour cream.

No comments: