Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Shrimp and Grits Casserole

This dish shouldn't be confused with the Shrimp n Grits recipe that I already have in my blog. While it's a similar type dish, the flavors are quite different. But they are both delicious! I might like the flavors of the other one a tad better but this one is faster and easier to prepare. It's actually not my recipe but a friend of the family's who graciously shared it (the same one who shared this  fabulous recipe.) Of course, I act like this dish is so effortless (which is almost is) but I fumbled. Since it was just two of us eating, I modified the recipe to make less of it. But apparently going to Georgia Tech, doesn't = math wizard because I calculated the amount of chicken broth incorrectly and added an extra cup. Sooo...my grits took FOREVER to cook down. But you won't make that mistake, will you?

Also, I noticed that some of my blog posts had almost 1500 views. So, who are you? It's okay to introduce yourself or comment! If you have suggestions or requests for me, I'll take those as well. In fact, it's gets pretty lonely having shy readers!

Shrimp and Grits Casserole ( per Glen)



4 cups chicken stock or broth
1 cup uncooked grits
8 oz velveeta or cheddar cheese shredded and divided
2 tbsp butter
6 green onions: green parts only, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1-10 oz can Rotel tomatoes and chilis, drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook grits in broth/stock until done.
Saute onion tops, pepper and garlic in butter until tender.
Divide cheese into two units: 1/3 cup and 2/3 cup.
Stir together onion mix, grits, 2/3 cup cheese, shrimp and Rotel.
Pour into greased 2-quart baking dish.
Sprinkle top with reserved cheese.
Bake for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

No comments: