Thursday, January 5, 2012

White Bean Soup with Chorizo and Kale

This soup was a big hit in my house. However, I couldn't really give you my own opinion on it since I didn't really eat it. It looked and smelled good so I wish I had. It was one of those nights where you are fixated on something like pizza and nothing else (like soup) sounds appealing. I'm still kind of beating myself up for this. I spent all the time and money to make this soup that I hear was awesome and I didn't even enjoy it. Oh well, there is always next time! Sorry for the messy picture, you know I don't edit mine.

White Bean Soup with Chorizo and Kale
Keep in mind that you need about 2 hr 40 mins for this with the prep involved. Source: Sunday Soup

 
Ingredients:
 1 lb. dried great Northern or Navy beans
One 4-oz. piece salt pork
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 cups shredded carrots
2 cups chopped celery
5 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
10 cups chicken stock
8 oz. Spanish chorizo, thinly sliced
5 cups of chopped kale, loosely packed
3/4 cup grated Parmesan

Steps:

Rinse and sort through the beans to remove any pebbles. Put beans in a pot of boiling water. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 1 hour. Cut salt pork into 4 pieces.

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When hot, add onion, celery, and carrots. Stir and let veggies soften (about 6 minutes). Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.

After beans have softened, drain and rinse them and add to the pot. Then add salt pork, Stir in thyme, pepper flakes, salt, 2 grinds of pepper, and stock.

Set pot over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover pot and let cook for 1 hour. Add chorizo, and cook covered for another 30 minutes. Remove salt pork pieces and discard.

Season soup as needed. Add kale and cook about 3 minutes until just wilted. Sprinkle Parmesan over each ladled bowl of soup.

No comments: