Thursday, June 9, 2011

Stir-Fried Napa Cabbage

Don't be turned off by the title of this post. (I know I probably would be.) I mean who really gets excited about cabbage or the effects it has on people...

But if you like thai food, this side dish is a must! I wasn't totally excited about making it because again it's cabbage but it was SO delicious. I actually could have eaten this as my meal. But, I love Thai food and this incorporated so many Thai-like flavors. If I hadn't made it myself and someone asked me what I thought was in this, I probably would have said things like lemongrass, curry, or coconut milk. I would have been wrong since it doesn't even use any of those ingredients. Give it a try!

Stir-Fried Napa Cabbage with Garlic, Fresh Chile & Basil
 Source: Fine Cooking

Ingredients:

1 head of napa cabbage
1 Tbsp canola oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp. fish sauce (found with the asian foods in the grocery store)
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp coarse kosher salt
1/2 medium serrano chile, chopped but not seeded
1/4 cup freshly torn basil leaves
2 to 3 tsp fresh lime juice
2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal


Steps:

Slice the cabbage in half lengthwise. Position one half cut side up and slice it across the middle at the point where the leafy top gives way to the white stem. Remove the core. Slice the stem end lengthwise into 1 1/2 in wedges and cut the wedges crosswise. Cut the leafy half in the same way. Keep leaves and stems separate.

Heat a wok over high heat. Add oil to coat pan.

Cook the garlic and stems for about 2 minutes.  Add the fish sauce, salt, chile, and sugar. Toss. Stir-fry another 2-3 minutes.

Add the leaves stirring quickly until barely wilted.  Remove wok from heat and add the basil and lime juice. Season with salt and garnish with scallions.
   

No comments: