Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sweet Onions

Now that the temperatures are cooling down (barely, but I'll take it), it seemed like the right time to bring soups back into my life. I love a good soup especially when I can use my slow cooker since it's so easy. This soup was no exception. For those that do not like your onion soup on the sweeter side, you can use red onions instead. As far as the crostini goes, you can slice a french baguette and broil it with a little olive oil and butter or you can buy it already made like I did. I found them in the bread/bakery area of Whole Foods. They look like this:


Slow Cooker Vidalia Onion Soup
Makes about 4 bowls

Ingredients:

2 lbs. Vidalia onions, peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups beef stock
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 Tbsp Port
Crostini
Parmesan cheese, shredded or shaved


Steps
1. Place sliced onions, butter, oil and salt in the slow cooker.  Cook for one hour on high. Reduce heat to low and cook for 4-5 more hours. Stir every once in awhile.
2. Mix sugar and flour into the onions. Cook for 20 more minutes on low.
3. Pour stocks into the pot and cook on high for 45 mins-1 hour.
4. Cook on low for 1- 1 1/2 hours before stirring in the Port
5. Serve in bowls with crostini and cheese over the top.

No comments: