Italian Meat Roll-Up
makes 8 servings
- 4 oz. pancetta, chopped
- 2 cups chopped portobella mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1/2 cup oil-packed dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese, finely shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 lb. uncooked ground turkey
- 8 oz. bulk Italian sausage
- Fresh oregano
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large skillet, cook pancetta until crisp; remove from skillet with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Drain all but 1 Tbsp. drippings from skillet. Cook mushrooms in drippings until tender and all liquid has evaporated; cool.
2. For filling, in medium bowl combine pancetta, mushrooms, mozzarella, and dried tomatoes; set aside.
3. In large bowl combine eggs and chicken broth. Stir in bread crumbs, Romano cheese, garlic, Italian seasoning, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Stir in turkey and sausage.
4. On heavy-duty foil or parchment, pat meat mixture into a 9x12-inch rectangle. Evenly sprinkle filling on meat mixture. From one long end of foil or parchment, begin rolling the meat mixture jelly-roll-style. Transfer the roll, seam side down, to a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour or until a thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf reads 160 degrees. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Top with oregano.