Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pizza Night On The Fly

Pizza is something that always seems to  be "on the fly" well at least for me. I feel like pizza isn't one of those dinners you really plan but it's more like "I'm craving pizza tonight" or "I'm just going to grab a pizza on the way home." Well, I discovered it's almost as quick to just throw one together at home especially if you have a pizza stone. I've got this one but I can't say I get a ton of use out of it. It was one of those things I felt compelled to purchase at a Pampered Chef party (you can even cook cookies and chicken on it!) Ha...

But seriously the pizza thing...so simple. I wanted to make it a "healthy" pizza so I bought whole wheat dough at Trader Joe's. They sell it in a bag in the refrigerated section. And I got shredded mozzarella and pepperoni at Whole Foods. I'm not trying to pretend pepperoni is healthy by any means but I like think this kind was not too too bad since it's free of artificial ingredients and preservatives. Plus, this company uses high standards for animal welfare which is important to me.

To make it, i basically just lightly floured the stone surface and rolled the dough out into a 12 inch diameter circle. Then I spread pizza sauce around it with a spatula and topped with cheese and the other toppings. Lastly, I sprinkled some oregano and red pepper flakes over it. I baked it at 350 for about 15 minutes. Tip: Let the dough sit at room temp for at least 45 minutes despite what the bag says.

No comments: